Mom's Affiliate Banner

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Blogging Rule No. 1 - be yourself!


When I first started blogging (seriously blogging) I was TERRIFIED of what people would say. I tried fitting into certain molds because people that I thought were experienced bloggers were telling me I had to choose one category to fit my little corner of the cyber world into. They told me I should choose one topic and just stick with that for my blog because it would be too confusing to cover various topics.

Um......ok. What? My life isn't just weight loss. It's not just motherhood. It's not just product reviews. I'm a real person and my life doesn't fit into one pretty little categorical box. I'm a single mom who is on a weight loss journey. I love trying new products. I love reviewing products. I love movies and music. I love traveling. I have celiac disease and enjoy finding and sharing new fun gluten free places and products. I love animals. That's just the tip of the iceberg that is my life. I couldn't find a little categorically correct box that all of that fit into. So, do you want to know what I did? I busted out of that mentality. Here's my categorically correct box: MY LIFE. I changed my blog name to "This is me..." and never once looked back.

Now, I know that I can post about a road trip one day, a new workout recovery drink the next day and a great movie the day after that and it's OK! To some, it may seem like I'm all over the board but I'm not. This IS me! I don't know ANY other mothers who don't wear about 478 hats in the course of a day and my blog reflects that!

However, even with being "me" on my blog I do have a little set of rules that are always at the forefront of my mind when I'm posting:

1. I never say anything I can't/wouldn't be willing to back up in person.
2. I never intend to say anything to offend anyone.
3. I never endorse or review products or services that I haven't personally tried (unless on the very RARE instance it's something I have completely researched and have talked to real people who have used it).
4. I never post anything I wouldn't feel comfortable showing to the Little Dude (my son).
5. I never knowingly or intentionally post false information.

The one thing I will always tell new bloggers (not that I'm very far into my blogging tenure myself) is just be yourself. People might have lots of critical advice for you but as long as you are comfortable with your content and you can look yourself in the eye....then YOU my friend will be just fine! Don't ever compromise your own integrity or vision to fit into someone else's mold. I've never known a one dimensional person so I wouldn't expect any real person to have a one dimensional blog.

Keep cool and blog on!

6 comments:

  1. I think it is so true to be yourself!! I am really working on this. It is hard as I have to be more self-revealing than I want, but it is also great as I can share things with others - even those I haven't met. Thanks for posting! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! That's been the hardest thing for me: opening up! Most of my family/friends don't even know about my blog! I've always been so guarded and worried about what others thought. I'm finally learning to come out of my shell a bit. :) Thanks for stopping by!♡

      Delete
  2. Hi there, Karren here from IBA, I just shared your post on Twitter today. Hope it gets you traffic!! Enjoy your day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous tips, especially #1 and #4.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kaitlin and thanks for stopping by! Those 2 rules are the most important to me! I feel like people sometimes try to be something else online. I'm just me. If I can't say it in the real world I shouldn't say it in the virtual world either! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to check out my blog!