Mom's Affiliate Banner

Monday, June 30, 2008

Would you yike to buy some cookies?

This weekend accomplished a few things. Moms garage got cleaned out pretty well, all of Josh's "baby clothes" got to go for a ride in the car and Josh has pretty much overcome any hint of shyness that was looming over him.

We decided to have a yard sale to get rid of some of the things in the Farifield house and raise money for the ever increasing gas budget for our drive to Oregon. When I was a kid mom would set me up at a table at our yard sales and I would sell coffee, Kool-aid and donuts and I normally made a good chunk of change. So I thought I would get Josh setup with his own little snack stand so that he could make some mad money to take on the trip to Papa/Grama's house. We baked cookies and put three in a bag (the little ziploc snack bags). Some were choc chip and some were m&m's. I really didn't think he'd make that much. We were selling the cookies 1 bag/$.50 (or as Josh learned "2 Quarters"). So after we got all setup on Saturday morning I got the big guy all setup at his snack stand. He wasn't too sure about it at first but then when people started giving him 2 quarters for each bag of cookies it got pretty dang exciting!

People would come up to pay for their yard sale purchases and Josh would walk up and look at them with those big blue eyes and say "Would you yike to buy some cookies? I makeded them myself." And OF COURSE they would ask how much and he would reply "2 Quarters" at that point the sale was inevitable. (one guy bought 2 packs and then came back and bought 3 more). Some people would ask him why he was selling the cookies and he would reply without missing a beat "We goin' to papa and gamas house" - since the area was mostly made up of "Gamas and papa's" they really couldn't resist.

By the end of the 2nd day he was not only selling them but he was picking out which kind and which bag he thought they would like and even breaking them up into "yittle pieces" because that's the way he likes them. When sales were slowing down at the end of day 2 he also took it upon himself to go out and help people who were looking at other things for sale and tell them what they were (one lady looking at some wooden "baby" trains was greeted by Josh telling her those were baby toys but that he doesn't need them anymore). Like I said - the shyness is virtually gone now which I guess is a good thing.

The very valuable lesson I learned this weekend is when you are selling a TON of baby and toddler clothing you probably don't want to do it in an area that is made up predominately of retired people. We sold 1 shirt and 1 pair of shoes and that was it. We sold some other odds and ends but as far as the clothing goes that was it. Bummer but oh well - Ebay here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to check out my blog!